Friday, June 20, 2008

Vintage Butterflies

While I was at Quilt Market in May (a wholesale show for shop owners), I ran into Connie Cerdena of Jenny Creek Designs. We carry many of her patterns and I was anxious to see her newest quilt, Vintage Butterflies, which she had on display in her booth.

She told me that she had been in an antique shop one day and came across 30 butterflies that had been cut from 1930s-era fabric. After purchasing them, she said she appliqued and button-hole stitched the butterflies, then combined with them a striking strip-pieced scalloped border in blue. When I saw this quilt at Market, I was also impressed with Connie's exquisite quilting. The cool thing is that Connie let us borrow it and we currently have this totally gorgeous quilt on display in our shop. Come see it if you are in the area!

This really is one beautiful quilt. We carry the pattern, Vintage Butterflies, so that you can make one of your own! I'm going to start gathering some fabrics to make one myself! If you like 1930s style quilts and butterflies, you will really enjoy putting this quilt together. The blocks will show off your 1930s reproduction fabric collection, and you will also like learning how to put the border together. This spectacular quilt measures 73-1/2" x 84-1/2". I personally can't wait to start making the butterfly blocks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are an incredible woman....I love your $5 quilt club. I have been a member of 2 other quilt clubs at two other shops, and your is the best ever!!